Kjartan Sekkingstad left the Philippines

Norwegian national Mr. Kjartan Sekkingstad left the Philippines on Thursday, 23 September 2016. The Norwegian Ambassador Mr. Erik Førner informs that Mr. Sekkingstad has recovered well during the past few days. ‘Mr. Sekkingstad has undergone medical examinations and has been well taken care of both in Manila and Davao. He has also been properly debriefed by relevant authorities in order to provide information that can aid in the rescue of other captives’, said Ambassador Førner.

Mr. Sekkingstad was freed last weekend after being held hostage in Sulu for almost a year.

‘Mr. Sekkingstad has expressed his gratitude towards President Rodrigo Duterte, Secretary Jesus Dureza and all other actors who has contributed to his release’, said Mr. Førner. ‘He is also grateful for all support from family and friends in Davao, Norway and elsewhere’.

Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg and Foreign Minister Børge Brende have also expressed their gratitude to Philippine authorities for their steadfast commitment to secure the release of Mr. Sekkingstad. In a statement issued earlier this week Prime Minister Solberg said that cooperation between all the relevant authorities in Norway and the Philippines and with international partners has been close and effective. She added: ‘I would like to extend special thanks to President Rodrigo Duterte and the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process, Jesus Dureza, for their commitment to resolving the situation.’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.